NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With the final numbers now in, the Department of Transportation said Wednesday that nearly 700,000 old cars had been traded in for new ones under the Cash for Clunkers program.
"This is one of the best economic news stories we've seen and I'm proud we were able to give consumers a helping hand," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.
Shoppers had until 8 p.m. ET Monday to buy a car under the Cash for Clunkers program and dealers were given until 8 p.m. Tuesday to file their paperwork on-line to request a government voucher.
Auto dealers submitted total of 690,114 requests for vouchers, according to LaHood. Those requests totaled about $2.9 billion, or just under the $3 billion that had been allocated for the program.
Read Article