General Motors Co.
said Thursday it is issuing five new separate recall campaigns, calling back more than 2.99 million vehicles worldwide as the fallout from its growing auto safety crisis continues.
The Detroit automaker also said it would take a new $200 million charge against second-quarter earnings to account for costs primarily from recalls issued since April 1. The automaker has issued about 10 new recall campaigns since then. GM took a $1.3 billion charge in the first quarter to account for its recall of 2.6 million vehicles for ignition switch defects linked to 13 deaths and 32 crashes.
The automaker told NHTSA that it made the decision on May 7 to issue four of the new recalls totaling about 2.71 million vehicles in the United States and 201,000 in Canada. The fifth and smallest recall, for about 500 trucks, was made on Monday. GM said it will provide detailed explanations to NHTSA over the decisions to issue the new recalls in the coming weeks.
The new recalls include 2.44 million passenger cars for tail lamp problems, 111,000 older Chevrolet Corvettes for loss of low-beam head lamps, 140,000 2014 Chevrolet Malibus for hydraulic brake booster malfunctions, 19,225 Cadillac CTS 2013-14 models for windshield wiper failures and 477 full-size trucks 2014-15 tie-rod defect that can lead to a crash.Read Article