Hyundai's all-new flagship, the Genesis sedan, launched to significant anticipation culminating with its coronation as the 2009 North American Car of the Year - the first time a Korean brand has ever achieved the honor.
But Genesis didn't stop there, accumulating honor after prestigious honor to become the most decorated new car launch of the 2009 model year. At last count, Genesis tallied more than 20 top honors from the most prominent media outlets and automotive organizations in North America.
Genesis' trophy case includes awards and accolades from the likes of J.D. Power and Associates, Motor Trend, AutoPacific, Cars.com and leading consumer publications. Genesis is built on Hyundai's all-new, performance-driven rear-wheel-drive architecture. It offers two powertrains, the Lambda 3.8-liter V6 engine producing 290 hp, and Hyundai's all-new Tau 4.6-liter V8 engine producing 375 hp. With technology rivaling more expensive luxury sedans, convenience features like push-button start and navigation system, and five-star safety ratings from the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA), it's clear that Genesis is among the best new cars of 2009. But at a starting MSRP of just $32,250 and max price of just $42,000 for a fully loaded Genesis, it's no surprise the competition was left in Hyundai's rear-view mirror.
"Genesis was developed to rival the world's best luxury sedans so we knew it would be a great car, but we didn't know how it would be received by the automotive community," said Scott Margason, director of Product & Strategic Planning for Hyundai. "As the awards accumulated, we realized not only how well designed the Genesis was, but how far the Hyundai brand had come. Consumers and automotive industry influencers really embraced the idea of Hyundai producing a luxury product."
Genesis Sedan Awards
- 2009 North America Car of the Year
- Motor Trend - America's Top 40 New Cars
- J.D. Power and Associates - Automotive, Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) - Most appealing midsize premium car
- J.D. Power and Associates - Vehicle Launch Index (VLI) - Highest ranked 2009 all-new or redesigned vehicle
- The Car Book 2009 - Best Bet (intermediate category)
- About.com - Best New Car
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance - Best New Model (sedans $30,000-$45,000)
- NADAguides.com - Car of the Month (April)
- NADAguides.com - Top 5 Luxury Cars
- NADAguides.com - Best Car Buy - Top luxury cars under $35,000
- Autotropolis.com - Car of the Year
- Cars.com - Car of the Year
- On Wheels - Car of the Year
- AutoPacific - Ideal Vehicle Awards - Aspirational Luxury Category
- AutoPacific -Vehicle Satisfaction Awards - Aspirational Luxury Category
- Consumer Reports - Top-Rated Vehicle (upscale sedan category)
- Consumer Digest - Best Buy (luxury segment)
- MyRide/Autobytel - Car of the Year
- Ward's Auto World - 10 Best Engines (4.6 liter Tau V8)
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada - Canadian Car of the Year
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada - Best New Luxury Vehicle Under $50,000
2009 Concours Weekend Photo Gallery Live! (All photos from all Monterey shows in one gallery)
2009 Concorso Italiano Photo Gallery
2009 The Quail Event Photo Gallery
2009 Frankfurt Auto Show Photo Gallery
There are photos and then there are AutoSpies.com photos!
AutoSpies.com is ranked number one on Google search for auto shows